Monday, December 9, 2013

I used to hate mushrooms

With a passion.  Like, couldn't stand them in or on anything.  But then I was out to eat with B and some friends one day when someone offered me a bite of their burger.  I'm a girl who likes to share and appreciates it when others share food, so I happily accepted.  It was delicious.  Magical even. 

And then I found out it was a portabella mushroom burger.  I had been duped.

But I couldn't be upset because it was amazing.

So, since that fateful day I've tried incorporating mushrooms into my meals more frequently. I still don't care for raw mushrooms - the texture is a little rubbery for my liking.  But a sauteed mushroom? Mmmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Why does this interest you? Because I just made a super easy, clean, tasty mushroom meal and I thought you might like to try it out too. You know, cause I'm a girl who likes to share.

Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
  • Portabella mushroom caps
  • Olive oil (I used sunflower oil)
  • Onion, chopped
  • Garlic glove, chopped
  • Fresh spinach leaves
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Remove the gills from the mushroom caps and place caps on a large baking sheet, de-gilled side down.  Drizzle with oil and roast for 15 minutes.

While your mushrooms are roasting, heat a skillet over medium heat with some oil.  Add in chopped onions and garlic until tender.  Then add in your spinach leaves. Stir until they cook down and are tender.

When the mushroom caps are done roasting, take them out (don't turn off the stove!) and flip them over.  Pack the caps with the onion/garlic/spinach mix you have.  Place back in the oven and cook for 15 minutes more.

Note: this recipe came from the back of a sticker on the portabella mushroom caps I purchased but I didn't have all the ingredients so I modified.  The original recipe also called for breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, and goat cheese.  Had I not been on the cleanse, I would have gone to the store for those because I loooove goat cheese. However, this cleanse-friendly version was excellent!

To make with the cheeses and breadcrumbs, roast mushroom caps and sauteed veggies in the same manner.  When the veggies are done, transfer them to a bowl or plate so they cool slightly.  Add in 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and 4 oz crumbled goat cheese.  Then fill the mushrooms with this mix and bake for the additional 15 minutes.


Do you have any other yummy mushroom recipes to share? Or foods you thought you hated and then discovered were delicious?

xoxo,
Cait

3 comments:

  1. I've always loved mushrooms! Soooo yummy. You have to be careful what you pair them with... mushrooms with other mushy food isn't good. But mushrooms and steak? Delicious. Make a tin foil packet and throw sliced shrooms in there with some worcestshire (how the f do you spell that) sauce and throw on the grill with your steaks. I also like to grill portabella mushrooms as a burger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I used to haaate mushrooms and then it's like a switch flipped and now I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crab, cheese,bread crumbs, garic stuffed mushrooms put in the broiler for 2-3 min :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments, questions or ideas! I love hearing what you have to say. I respond by email when possible so make sure your account is set up!