Monday, September 2, 2013

(Half) Marathon Monday #1

If you missed the big announcement this weekend.... I'M RUNNING A HALF MARATHON!


Even if I look like this, I'll be crossing that damn finish line.  Best believe that! [via]
The lovely JustJacq had me guest post on Saturday so you can read about my decision to run here.  And as promised, I'm going to do a weekly update on my trainings called (half) Marathon Mondays!

I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice 1 training plan which expects the runner to have built up to 3 miles. I've been running that distance pretty regularly the last few weeks to build up my endurance but that doesn't mean that it's been easy.  This 100 degree weather is no joke.

My first training run was yesterday and I went 3 miles around Rice.

People - If you live in Houston, you need to run here! It's gorgeous and shaded and there are the right amount of people - not so many that the trail is crowded and you spend the whole time dodging strollers and dogs, but not so few that you feel like a murderer would jump out of the bushes and it could be a few days until someone found your body Law and Order: SVU style.  You feel me?

Anyways, on to the run.
I went before my Pure Barre class so I my legs were fresh and it was early enough to not be sweltering hot. I walked about 1/4 mile during the second mile and had to stop for water around the start of the 3rd mile. 
Time: 38:02
Average Pace:11:52

I ate 2 Cliff Shot Bloks before the run, then refueled with an Rehydrate Gel before Pure Barre and drank a Spark during Pure Barre.


Strawberry Shot Bloks, Lemon Rehydrate, Pink Lemonade Spark

Anyone else training for a big race? Any tips or suggestions?

xoxo,
Cait

PS - Come join me in the #SEPTx22 Challenge at Social Workout! Search for Cait R. and look for this pic:
Nov. 2011, birthday dinner. I thought that dress successfully camouflaged my weight gain. Yikes!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're well on your way to becoming a half marathoner!!

    Hope you had a nice long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Rice loop - I did that with a friend all the time before I got married when I wasn't working a traditional 9-5 but now it is so hard to get out there!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments, questions or ideas! I love hearing what you have to say. I respond by email when possible so make sure your account is set up!