Wednesday, October 30, 2013

5 easy & clean breakfast options

I've been back on the eating clean train for about 2 weeks now.  Choo choo!  I had been in a rut of eating whatever drive thru crap I could get my hands on before and after clinical but finally forced myself to grocery shop for some decent food.  There's no way I can do everything I need to do without putting good fuel in the tank.  

Here are some easy, clean eating breakfast options I've been doing lately.  
Note: I try to stay gluten-free and dairy-free since my digestive track seems to appreciate it. I realize that may not be suitable for everyone out there. To each her own!

1 - Cereal


When I went gluten-free and dairy-free, I realized that I missed cereal.  It's a great breakfast but also makes a good study snack.  I buy Unweetened Almond Milk and pour it over a bowl of Nature's Path Organic Sunrise Crunchy Maple with banana slices on top.  This cereal is awesome. Not some cardboard tasting junk.

2 - Smoothie

My girl Jesi recently posted on her new blog (hey girl!) about the benefits of cherries in smoothies.  As intelligent as I may be, I never thought about adding cherries.  But now I've been experimenting with frozen, pitted cherries and I like what I'm tasting! Plus, smoothies are pretty much idiot proof and I appreciate that.  Combine almond milk, handful of spinach leaves, hefty scoop of chia seeds, frozen fruit (blackberries, cherries and strawberries are my fav) and one banana in a blender. Blend until smooth. The Magic Bullet is my favorite blender because you blend in the cup you drink from which means less clean up!

3 - Eggs & Beans

Last week I youtube'd how to fry an egg.  I wish I was kidding.  Turns out, the trick is to use low heat and a little butter in the pan. Now I am an egg-frying machine.  Except I use coconut oil in the pan (just a smidge).  Here, I fried two eggs together - time saver! - and then served it with black beans and salsa.  I happen to think black beans are one of the tastiest things on Earth so the more the merrier.  I often use black beans at dinner and then put the rest in the fridge.  Super easy to heat up in the microwave.  Then smash up the runny yolks and eat the salsa/beans/eggs all together.  Delish!

4 - Waffles

I don't have the time to do made-from-scratch waffles healthy so I substitute with Van's Gluten-Free Frozen Waffles.  Instead of syrup, I top them with fresh fruit preserves or jam and a sprinkling of chia seeds.  Serve with whatever fresh fruit you have or a scrambled egg and voila!

5 - Toast Two Ways

Toast is often underrated, in my opinion.  It is easy to fix and there are a million ways you can dress it up. One of my current faves is toast is with poached eggs and avocado slices.  If you have the Salton Great Eggs Cooker, then poached and hard boiled eggs are a snap.  B makes fun of me for it but it is painless! Another way I fix toast is with PB2, banana slices, and chia seeds with a side of scrambled eggs topped with salsa.  Bonus: our Oster toaster has a retractable cord which makes me love it even more!  

Check out Jesi's suggestions for 5 Healthy Fast Food Options!

What do you eat for breakfast?  I'm always looking for new ideas so I don't get burnt out and return to fast food!

xoxo,
Cait
**********************************************************************
Don't forget about the giveaway I'm participating in at Just Jacq! Head on over and enter to win:

Tea & Crumpet size ad space from Amanda at Rhyme & Ribbons 
200x200 ad space and a guest post spot from Danielle at A Writer in Love 
200x200 ad space from Ginny at A Modern Commonplace Book 
200x200 ad space and a $10 Starbucks giftcard from Caitlin at Your Favorite Girlfriend (that's me!)
Ad space and sunglasses from Raewyn at Be a Warrior Queen 
Small November ad space and earrings from Jacquelyn at JustJacq

Giveaway runs through November 3rd. Tweet about it daily for extra entries!

5 comments:

  1. We do scrambled eggs with black beans for breakfast. So filling and so yummy! Have you tried the Biggest Loser pancakes yet? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toast and avocado - sounds delicious! A combo I would never think of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eggs and avocado together. Everyone thought I was crazy until pinterest introduced the idea of frying an egg in an avocado and all the sudden it was the all the rage. dumbheads. and I too think black beans are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This are awesome suggestions! I love steel cut oatmeal, in the morning, too, and keeps me so full!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came across your blog from Wifessionals while looking at the Cara Boxes. I love your blog and especially this breakfast post. I struggle with breakfast and try to keep it healthy but always seem to end up with plain toast and coffee. Really enjoying your blog!
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments, questions or ideas! I love hearing what you have to say. I respond by email when possible so make sure your account is set up!