Thursday, April 18, 2013

30 Day Shred (and how I got here)

I started the Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred tonight.

I'm already sore.

A little back story first. On March 10th, I got in a pretty bad car accident. It was the first weekend of spring break (I'm a teacher) and I was visiting my family in Austin. My brother was originally supposed to get married on Saturday, March 9th but it was called off in January. Being that it was the wedding date and I had to go to Austin for some wedding meetings of my own that week, I drove in that day for moral support. I had dinner with my fam and then my brother was heading out to a friend's house so I went along. Long story short, I got in a bad wreck at 2am in the pouring rain when I was driving back to my mom's house. I thank God every single day that no one was seriously injured. I broke my left hand and ended up having to get a cast.

My wrecked Cruze.  6 weeks later and STILL in the shop.
That cast came off 4 days ago. My hand is super gnarly but that's another post when I can actually say that my hand is useful again. For now, it's a mess of dry skin, swollen bruises and a wonky ring finger.  Sweet.
About 12 hours after the wreck.  My best friend took the ER's splint off so she could remove my acrylic nails.  Best. Friend. Ever. Send the girl a freakin' award.
Prior to breaking my hand, I was doing Pure Barre around 5 times per week and had just starting going to CrossFit. Turns out, you can't do either of those things with a broken hand. I don't have a regular gym membership so I felt stuck. I'd been toying with trying to run again, but was told to avoid that with my hand because it would make the swelling worse.  Not to mention the smell it would create.  Gag.  Plus, I'd lost about 10 lbs from working out and didn't want to lose that progress. At this point, I had been following pretty closely while Mama Laughlin and Skinny Meg did the Advocare Cleanse, which then turned into the 24 Day Challenge.
My sweet package for the 24 Day Challenge. Worth every motherloving penny.
Since I couldn't work out, I decided to attack my terrible diet.  I bought the entire 24 Day Challenge and figured I didn't have anything to lose. Except maybe $200. But for that price, I felt pretty committed to the program.  I revamped my eating habits, went 99% clean (there may have been a bachelorette party in there where I broke every cleanse rule in the book) and really loved the results I got. [Confession: I ate Chick-Fil-A four nights in a row right before starting the cleanse.  I really wanted to go out with a bang.]

Me with the Bachelorette, grrfeisty!

Loooong story is... I worked out today for the first time in almost 6 weeks.  I did the Jillian Michaels: 30 Day Shred at level one.  Overall, I was pleased with the program.  The 20 minutes went by quickly and I already feel sore.  Some of the stuff was still hard with my left hand - pushups didn't really work out and my wrist got sore fast from the weights.  All I've got are 5 lb-ers so starting with 2 or 3 lbs probs would have been smarter.  Oh well - live and learn.
Pre JM 30 Day Shred.
Post Shred #flexbreak






I'm going to attempt to get up before work to complete Day 2.  Usually my bed wins out so we'll see.

xoxo,
YFG

PS - If you want more AdvoCare info, please email me at YFGBlog[at]gmail[dot]com! I'd love to let you know how it went for me.  Or you can check it out here :)
Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad your first workout went well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments, questions or ideas! I love hearing what you have to say. I respond by email when possible so make sure your account is set up!