Friday, February 7, 2014

pearly whites!

I am supposed to be cleaning my house right now since my bestie is come to visit while B is away at his bachelor weekend but instead I'm snuggling the pups and blogging.  Sorry, Jenni!

Before I get into my Follow Through Friday business, can I ask you all a favor?

Would you please take 30 seconds to send a valentine card to a sick child at Texas Children's Hospital?  It's quick, easy, and free.  You can send as many as you'd like. You can share it on all your social media outlets.

https://waystogive.texaschildrens.org/valentine

I just wrapped up my pediatric clinical rotation at TCH and it was amazing. Even the floors that didn't really excite me were wonderful. The kids are absolutely inspiring and their families are so strong.  I know now that I want to work there and that is exciting and terrifying.  But in the meantime, consider sending a valentine card or two or ten.

*********************************************


So what's new in my Follow Through Friday?  Pearly whites, that's what!

I few weeks back I mentioned that I wanted to start taking better care of my teeth and make them whiter.  I began by flossing every most evenings before bed and using a whitening gel a few nights a week.  I was seeing some improvement, and lots of bleeding from flossing, but really wasn't happy with the progress.  In particular I had a tooth that seemed really stained. I put extra whitener on it, flossed more around that tooth, and let my electric toothbrush just hang out on the tooth. But nothing was really doing it.

Today I went to a new dentist.  I hated the dentist I had to see on my old insurance - it was one of those box chain dentist stores.  Ugh.  But a friend who is from Houston recently graduated dental school and gave me a few referrals.  Note: If you're in the Houston area and need a new dentist, check out Dr. McEwen at Richmond Landing Family Dentistry.

I loved Dr. McEwen and his team!

WARNING: Do not judge my crowded bottom teeth! Or my uneven skin tone! I'm working on the skin and I hope to do Invisalign in the near future. (Yes, Mom, I should have worn my retainer. Or the orthodontist should have given me a permanent retainer like everyone else I know.)

Drumroll please......


I still feel like my teeth have room to whiten, but I've got a 2-hour Rembrant whitener kit that I'm going to do closer to the wedding.  But the big news is - LOOK AT THAT TOOTH! It was so stained (or so I thought) and turned out it was tartar that they could clean off.  Thank goodness (and eeew!!)! 


Latte through a straw is my new favorite thing.  And I think it will help keep my teeth nice and bright!

Now... anyone know where I can get one of those scrapey dentist tools? I'm sort of obsessed with having one since that my teeth are so clean!

How is Follow Through Friday going for you ladies? Any updates you want to share? Link up and check out the cohosts :)

xoxo,
Cait

5 comments:

  1. That is a huge change! And my teeth looked the same after my orthodontist gave me the crappiest, worst fitting, ugliest thick plastic retainers after braces... I literally couldn't talk when I wore them. Hopefully someday getting them really straight will be an option for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just sent a Valentine! Thanks for the link! And I think they have the scrapers at Walmart. I need one too. I honestly kind of like the dentist and wish I could go every three months! Would you recommend the whitening gel you tried?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same experience with my orthodontist. I told him I wouldn't wear my retainer but he said he doesn't do permanent because you can't wear them for the rest of your life like you're supposed to be able to do with your retainer. I wasn't being a bratty teenager. I knew myself and knew I wouldn't wear it for a month so what does the rest of my life matter for? Stupid orthodontist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an impressive difference on the whitening! I totally need to try that!

    I missed the link up but did post: http://whattheschneck.blogspot.com/2014/02/follow-through-friday-week-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't call it obsession, Caitlin! Having spotless teeth is any person's dream. I suppose you've tried out different products in this regard. Testing these out helps in narrowing down those products that could help you. I hope your new dentist can help you too in this endeavor, but just don't randomly ask for his tools, though. These tools have to be in the hands of an expert to be used properly or else you could be in a world of pain, or end up in a worse condition than before. Take care!

    Randall Higgins @ Vorhies Orthodontics

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me comments, questions or ideas! I love hearing what you have to say. I respond by email when possible so make sure your account is set up!